Does your wooden furniture have gouges in it? If yes, then worry not as there are several ways in which you can quickly fix it. Sometimes furniture wood gets damaged or small gouges in it. You might find it useless to change the whole furniture for a few gouges. In such situations, you can try out several ways to repair the gouges in the wooden furniture. If you do not have any idea regarding the fixing methods of gouges in wooden furniture, then you can go through the following article to find out every easy and possible way to fix gouges in wood furniture.
How to Fix Gouges in Wood Furniture
When it comes to fixing gouges in the wooden furniture, then you can try out the following options:
Using Wood Fillers:
The best way you can fix the gouges in the wooden furniture is nothing but the wood fillers. The most significant advantage of using this thing in the gouges of the wooden furniture is that the damages do not appear to the outside world at ease. The way of using wood fillers depends on the source of the problem, which is how the gouges formed on the wooden surface. The reasons might vary a lot like rainwater damage, accidental damage, etc. Depending on the source of the problem, you have to decide the type of wood filler to be used on the gouges.
There are mainly three types of wood fillers available depending on the source of the damage those are the stainable wood fillers, water-based wood fillers, and the solvent-based wood fillers. When it comes to the first type of wood filler, you can get easy stain the repaired section after the whole procedure so that it can match the rest of the furniture. The best place to apply the water-based wood filler is indoors. You can easily apply the filler and stain or paint it later. The solvent-based wood fillers are for outdoor purposes. Such wood fillers are not for staining or painting. So you can use it for outdoor purposes or rough, unnoticeable parts only.
– The first step that comes before applying the suitable wood filler is sanding or brushing. You would need sandpapers and vacuum or clean cloth for going with the procedure. You would have to use the rough side of the sandpapers to straight the surface of damage with gouges and scratches. Try rubbing the sandpaper on the gouges of the wooden furniture until the area becomes spotless and plain. After the use of sandpaper, you can use a vacuum for the cleaning of the debris of wood which had come out from the sanding of the area. In the last part, you would have to use a clean wet cloth for the cleaning procedure if you do not find a vacuum. If you use a wet cloth, then you would have to wait for carrying on the procedure to avoid the wet place. This would help the wooden furniture with gouges to get the best wood fillers in the best way possible.
– You would have to find a putty knife for setting in the wood fillers in the gouges.
– You can apply the wood fillers on the damaged gouge areas in the wooden furniture. Once the filler is applied, you have to press it inside the depression or gouge in the wooden furniture. The last stroke of applying wood filler should overfill the depression or gouge. The wood fillers remain quite fluffy while applying it, but later on, the matter dries up and reduces in size. So it is best to overfill and plain the gouge area on the wooden furniture with the putty knife which would not even leave a scratch on the furniture.
– You would not be able to proceed with the repairing, until and unless the wood filler area dries up completely. You would have to leave the area alone to dry up at least up to 15 minutes. The time taken for drying of the wood filler depends on the depth of the gouges. The depth of the gouges and the time is taken for it to dry up are equally proportional.
– When you apply wood fillers for covering the gouges on the wooden furniture, it appears to be lifted a bit. If you leave the area that way, then anybody would figure the damaged part out. You can hide the covered up area with the help of sandpapers. You can use sandpapers to rub off the uplifted parts of the wood fillers after drying so that the area becomes smooth and equal to the rest of the piece.
– The last step in the whole procedure is to give the finishing touches to the repaired wooden furniture. You can re-paint the whole furniture with one or two coats of new paint to cover up the area and stop others from noticing it. The second thing which you can do is to stain the wood filler in the very beginning. In this process, you would have to apply stain to a small part of the wood filler to check if it matches the rest of the shade on the wooden furniture. If the stain test confirms, then you can proceed with further training on wood fillers.
Carving Out New Designs:
Another easy yet exciting way to deal with gouges on the wooden furniture is to carve out new designs from the depressions. This procedure is applicable only for minor gouges on the wooden furniture. You can choose a small yet intricate design and carve it out from the point of the gouge on the wood. The carving out of the design would require a sharp tool to cut through the wood in small parts for the design. The design should be around the gouges to cover up the depression at ease.
Another easy but complicated way to cover up the gouges on the wooden furniture is by filling up the depression with wooden dust. You can use sandpaper to smoothen the surface and later on apply paint on it.
The above points are applicable only for repairing minor gouges on the wooden furniture. If the gouges are quite big and the furniture needs some serious repair, then it would be best to replace the whole set in no time.